AfBSA was established to:
- Expand professional and public awareness of biological safety through effective communication.
- Participate in the development of biological safety standards, guidelines, and regulations.
- Develop AfBSA as the recognized resource for professional and scientific expertise in biological safety.
- Advance biological safety as a scientific discipline through education, research, and professional development
- Develop and maintain professional standards for biological safety professionals.